For the last month or so, I’ve been participating in an at-home planking challenge from my personal trainer. I like to use a yoga mat while planking so I’m not sliding around everywhere. I forgot to roll it up the other night after I was done and one of our kiddos sprawled out on it Friday night while watching a movie. By the time the movie was done there was popcorn and greasy hand prints all over it, in true kid fashion of course!
I decided to whip up a quick, green yoga mat cleaner and get it nice and clean. Here’s how:
DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner
A natural, green way to clean using essential oils
- 1 two ounce glass spray bottle
- 5 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of Melaleuca/tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil (optional)
- Witch Hazel
- Water (preferably distilled)
- Add your essential oils directly into the glass spray bottle. You’ll want to use glass with essential oils, as oils can break down plastic and plastics often contain substances harmful the body.
- Fill your bottle about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way with Witch Hazel.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with water, preferably distilled.
Shake the bottle thoroughly before each use. Spray your mat with the cleaner and wipe down with a clean cloth.
Need oils? Visit my doTERRA site to learn more or purchase essential oils for this recipe.
This cleaner worked great and smells fantastic! I even gave my cell phone and a few remote controls a quick wipe down after I cleaned the mat, while I had it out. These oils have great cleaning, calming, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-septic properties. This cleaner is easy to whip up, incredibly inexpensive and is great natural alternative to other cleaning products.
Have you made your own natural cleaning products? I’d love to hear more about some of your favorite recipes. Comment below with some of your favorites!